Saturday, April 20, 2013

Glow in the dark nail polish

First off I'd like to apologize for the lack of posts this week! I'm moving the posts to Tuesday instead of Monday because of issues with school, but this week I was so swamped with papers that I couldn't even get in that one and yesterday we were traveling out to El Sembrador which is near Catacamas, Honduras. This is actually the place where I grew up originally so I have been a bit busy around here reacquainting myself with it and showing around our volunteer. But I just got inspired (since the internet came back up) to write a new post to make up for yesterday and Monday I will do a  post to make up for my lack of post on Tuesday.

So I just recently got some nail polish from a volunteer team that was down here for a week working. They are these really nifty ones that are double sided (purple on one side and hot pink on the other and another that is bright blue and lime green) and I decided I was going to use them on my nails sometime this week while I was here. Well last night our lights went out for a bit and while we were talking in the dark, our volunteer Andrea, who is rooming with me while we're here, noticed that something was glowing on the counter. Upon closer inspection we realized that it was the blue and green nail polish that was glowing! We both promptly began freaking out and laughing excitedly . Once the lights came back on, we tested the nail polish out on the tips of my nails to see if they really glowed, and sure enough they did! So now our nails are all wonderfully glowy, and whenever we get in the dark we both wave them around excitedly like a bunch of five year olds.

                     
Example of one of the tutorials I saw for it
Well, this got me thinking. How can I make my own glow in the dark nail polish? So this evening when I finally got internet back, I looked around to find some good ways of doing it. Basically all the ones that I've seen say around the same thing: take a glow stick and cut it and mix with your clear nail polish. Well, all except one. The title of the blog got me curious. Liesthatpinteresttoldme.wordpress.com talks about the dangers of doing something so incredibly reckless as dumping something that is possibly toxic and not meant to touch your skin, all over your nails. Which, she really does make some good points, and coupled with the fact that most of the blogs/tutorials I saw from my search are people that have never actually tried and are just blindly recommending it for other people to try and tell their results, I kind of think that there really must be a better option. And there are! She links to a very cheap one that you can buy at partycity.com and I'm sure in stores, or at Walmart.com they also have one that's a bit pricier. Either way, it's a lot safer looking and much easier than trying to do it yourself. When I go up this summer to the states I'm so trying this! Let me know if anyone does this as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment